What is Applied Psychology?
Basically Applied Psychology refers to all the psych careers that either make use of research skills or make use of existing research by applying the skills and research findings to actual situations in areas such as health psychology, community psychology, sports psychology, industrial/organizational (business) psychology, consumer psychology, educational psychology, environmental psychology, human factors psychology, law and psychology, and applied behavioural science...
Most students at UofT have likely never heard of many of the Applied Psychology Careers. Only a few courses are ever offered in the area and there is no Applied Psychology faculty within the Psychology Department. Hopefully the info here will help fill in the gaps.
Getting a Taste
Your best options are:
- Check out websites such as Some Exciting Areas in Applied Psychology
- Take the Applied psych courses that are offered (e.g., health psychology)
- See if the Career Centre has someone in the mentorship program or contact binder
- Visit the websites of Graduate programs (see APA graduate studies book download its Index for list of programs. For just Ontario see the Applied Psychology Programs in Ontario sheet)
- It is a bit tricky to find the information at UofT, but don't worry it is still possible!
Some Q & A:
- A: Usually graduate school in a terminal Masters (MA) Program or Doctoral (PhD) Program
- A: Classes, Practicum and some Research, including possibly a Masters Thesis (Terminal Masters program) or also a Doctoral Dissertation (Doctoral program). Check out each school's program as they can vary.
- A: A terminal Masters is a two year program that aims to provide you with the knowledge/skills to enter the workforce, whereas a masters on the way to a PhD is more of a default prize that is designed with the assumption that you will continue on and get a PhD. A Doctoral (PhD) is a 4-6 year program that focuses more on research and usually completed by those wanting to be a Professor or do mainly research.
- A: work for the Government, businesses/corporations, Non-Profit Organizations (NPOs), Consulting, or Instructor/Lecturer/Professor (likely need PhD)...